Happy New Year! I do hope that despite the incredibly disruptive impact of the Covid pandemic on people’s lives, everyone managed to stay safe and got to enjoy some quality time over the Christmas-New Year period with family and friends.
We are hopeful that the rugby season in 2022 will allow us to take care of some “unfinished business” from 2021 – a Premiership three-peat, as well as a full season of rugby for our Pathway and Junior teams! Under the supervision of our new Director of Rugby, Anare “Rayza” Koliavu, pre-season training will be starting next week on Tuesday and Thursday from 6pm. Rayza has an outstanding rugby CV, having played for the Western Force, as well as playing and coaching at Dewar Shield clubs Melbourne and Moorabbin. He has coached State (Vic and WA) and Australian national rugby teams. He is passionate about all forms of the game and the participation and development of girls and women in rugby. We are privileged to have someone of his calibre and experience join the club. One of his first initiatives is to bring onboard a strength and conditioning expert to work with players for pre-season training.
At this early stage of the year, we will be rolling out training in an incremental manner. With respect to next week, players from the Under16 age group through to seniors, as well as interested female players and coaches, are invited to attend.
At this point in time, the re-introduction of a number of restrictions by the State government do not impact on the current guidelines for community sport with respect to training and playing in an outdoors setting (https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/sport-exercise-and-physical-recreation-services-sector-guidance). Nonetheless, we as a club have a duty of care to participants, their families, and friends. Some simple measures we ask you to follow include:
- Please sign-in using the club’s QR code at the start of each training session or print your name and phone number on the log-in sheet.
- Bring your own water bottles to training – please do not share bottles.
- If you are feeling unwell with Covid-like symptoms, do not attend training.
- Players who were registered in 2021 will have insurance cover for training until the end of February, 2022.
- Newcomers will need to register via the Rugby Xplorer app. There is a training-only insurance option for a modest fee.
Looking forward to a successful season of rugby in 2022!
Tim Adams, President